documenta
archiv
Index:
Organizations
Staatstheater Kassel

The Staatstheater Kassel was a state-funded three-division theatre with the departments of music theatre, drama and dance. In 1954 the foundation stone was laid according to plans by Hans Scharoun, who together with Hermann Mattern and Willem Huller won the architectural competition of the state of Hesse for the design of the Staatstheater. However, the work had to be discontinued shortly thereafter due to excessive costs.

It was not until 1959 that the new building, designed by the Kassel architect Paul Bode, was completed. The Staatstheater consisted of a "Large House" and a "Small House", which was later referred to as the Opera and Playhouse. The building was built on Friedrichsplatz, near the Prussian State Theatre (1907-1943), which had suffered severe damage during the war in 1943 and was demolished in the post-war period. Bode's design followed the styles of functionalism, rationalism and organic building, which strongly influenced the building with its convex and concave forms and its cubic and rectangular structures. The artist Blasius Spreng was significantly involved in the design of the foyer and the auditorium. 1983 saw the opening of the theatre in the Fridericianum, known as "tif" for short, as the third venue.

At the first documenta, the Staatstheater Kassel organized the "Week of Modern Theatre". In addition to plays by Franz Kafka, Elliot Giraudeaux and Garcia Lorca, operas by Paul Hindemith, Arnold Schönberg and Igor Stravinsky were also presented.