documenta
archiv
Index:
Organizations
Orangerie

The baroque castle Orangerie was built in 1702 under Landgrave Karl in the Karlsaue near the Fulda in Kassel. It was designed by the architect Johann Konrad Giesler. The Orangerie served as a summer residence for the families of the landgrave, during the period of occupation it was also used as a military hospital and magazine, later as an exhibition site for industry, trade and specialist exhibitions. During the Second World War, the Orangerie was severely destroyed, and the ruins were used as a backdrop for documenta 2 for the first time in 1959, from there on it became a permanent venue for the international art exhibition. In 1967 the Orangerie was completely rebuilt. At documenta 6 (1977) it turned into an integral part of the Laserscape installation by Horst H. Baumann and Peter Hertha, the first permanent laser-light sculpture in public urban space.