documenta
archiv
Index:
Organizations
Werkakademie Kassel

The "Werkakademie Kassel" was founded on October 18, 1947, after the previous institution "Staatliche Kunstakademie Kassel" had been closed in 1932. It was initially instigated by Arnold Bode and Ernst Röttger, who were soon joined by Paul Haeßler, Kay Nebel, Hermann Mattern and Stephan Hirzel. The name probably goes back to Hirzel, who rejected the word "art".

The first instructors were Ernst Röttger, who took over the "preliminary teaching" and "art education", supported by Hermann Keßler (language training). Kay H. Nebel taught the "study of nature"; Paul Haeßler was responsible for sculpture, Heinrich Lauterbach for "architecture", accompanied by Karl Böttcher (building technology). Hermann Mattern, Oswald Sauer (plant sociology) and Erich Voß (garden administration) took over the "landscape architecture" class. Arnold Bode taught "panel and wall painting" and Hans Leistikow "graphics". Stephan Hirzel took over the "general department" with "living, work and life form, industrial form and stylistics", and Hans Tintelnot with Herbert von Buttlar covered "history of art". In 1955 Fritz Winter was appointed at the Werkakademie.

The Werkakademie was first accommodated in the Heinrich-Schütz-Schule, a little later in the recently vacated barracks of the occupation authorities at Eugen-Richter-Straße 3, in which the parallel existing "Werkkunstschule" was also located. The Werkakademie Kassel was renamed in 1960 to "Staatliche Hochschule für Bildende Künste Kassel".