documenta
archiv
Index:
Organizations
Hessische Sezession

The Hessian Secession was approved under the decree "ED 007, Office of Military Government for Great Hesse Economics Division" in August 1946. Arnold Bode (1st Chairman), Paul Haeßler (2nd Chairman) and Ernst Röttger (Secretary) took over the leadership. The working committee was composed of Christian Beyer, Arnold Bode, Bernhard Delsing, Paul Haeßler, Kurt Lehmann, Alfred Pütz, Ernst Röttger and Dr. Hans Vogel, Director of the Staatliche Kunstsammlung.


The program named six points: 1. Formation of a group of artists, painters, sculptors and architects who are initiators of contemporary art scene. 2. Organization of "contemporary art" exhibitions and program exhibitions in the rooms of the Hessisches Landesmuseum, travelling exhibitions in other cities. 3. Formation of the members into working groups to provide solutions to given orders and organize competitions. 4. Participation in questions of education of a younger generation of artists and promotion of young talents. 5. Provision of guided tours through exhibitions, organization of lectures and presentations on modern art. 6. Action against any reaction to the artistic and cultural field.


Already in autumn 1946 they organized an exhibition "Contemporary art, painting, sculpture, graphics" in the rooms of the Landesmuseum. Until its early dissolution in 1948, the Hessian Secession organized seven exhibitions in total.