documenta
archiv
Index:
Organizations
Tapetenfabrik Gebrüder Rasch

The company Rasch, founded in 1861 and based in Lower Saxony is still one of the leading wallpaper manufacturers in Germany today. In 1929 the then managing director Emil Rasch entered into a cooperative agreement with Bauhaus in Dessau, where his sister Maria Rasch studied painting. The company developed the first Bauhaus wallpaper, which took up Walter Gropius' idea of functional architecture. The first Bauhaus collection appeared in 14 designs. For the first time the patterns were replaced by textile structures, screens, grids or waves. After the closure of the Bauhaus in 1933, Mies van der Rohe transferred the rights to the brand name "bauhaus" to Rasch.

In 1939 a collection of Viennese artists wallpapers appeared, that were created under the direction and cooperation of Josef Hoffmann, the co-founder of the Vienna Secession. Rasch was able to produce wallpapers in the Bramscher factory until 1942. After the war, the company resumed production in 1949 under the management of Emil Rasch and in the following year brought out the Rasch-KÜNSTLER wallpapers. This time with designs by architects and artists such as Arnold Bode, Fritz August Breuhaus de Groot, Hans Schwippert, Josef Hoffmann, Maria May, Lucienne Day, Tea Ernst and Margret Hildebrand.