documenta
archiv
Index:
People
Georg Muche
painter, graphic designer, professor
08.05.1895 Querfurt
26.03.1987 Lindau

1913 study of painting at the school of painting and graphic arts of Paul Weinhold and Felix Eisengräber in Munich, from 1915 in the studio of Martin Brandenburg in Berlin. Through Herwarth Walden in 1915 contact to the Sturm-Künstlerkreis and participation in the Sturm exhibition "Neue Kunst". 1916 - 1920 teacher of painting at the Sturm-Kunstschule and participation in three exhibitions of the Sturm-Galerie together with Paul Klee and Alexander Archipenko.
After one year of military service in 1918, participation in an exhibition at the Galerie Dada in Zurich.

In 1920 appointment by Walter Gropius to the Bauhaus in Weimar. There, after occupation with organizational issues and pedagogical development until 1925, head of the weaving mill as a master of form, and from 1921 to 1922 also head of the preliminary course. 1923 management and organization of the first major Bauhaus exhibition in 1923 and designs for the experimental house "Haus Am Horn". 1924 study trip to the United States. 1925 - 1927 at the Bauhaus in Dessau also head of the weaving mill. 1926 construction of the steel house in the settlement Dessau-Törten according to his plans and those of architecture student Richard Paulick.


1927 - 1930 teacher at the private Ittenschule Moderne Kunstschule Berlin, which was founded by Johannes Itten. 1931 professor at the Staatliche Kunst und Kunstgewerbeschule in Breslau under the direction of Oskar Moll. Dismissed by the National Socialists in 1933, return to Berlin and teacher at the Schule für Kunst und Werk in Berlin under the direction of architect Hugo Häring until 1938. In 1937 two of his works displayed in the exhibition "Entartete Kunst" in Munich. 1939 artistic director of the master class for textile art founded by him at the Textilingenieursschule in Krefeld and work at the Institut für Malstoffkunde in Wuppertal together with Oskar Schlemmer and Willi Baumeister. After the war, continuation of his master class at the Textilingenieursschule in Krefeld until 1958.
Participation in the first documenta.