documenta
archiv
Index:
People
Paul Cassirer
art dealer, gallery owner, publisher
21.02.1871 Görlitz
07.01.1926 Berlin

Study of art history in Munich, subsequently staff member at the Albert Langen Verlag for the satirical weekly magazine “Simplicissimus”. In 1898 together with his cousin Bruno Cassirer foundation of the „Kunst- und Verlagsanstalt Bruno & Paul Cassirer“. Support of the art movement Impressionism and publication of writers such as Frank Wedekind, Ernst Toller and Else Lasker-Schüler.


From 1901 independent director of the art salon. The gallery became one of Europe’s leading galleries, especially through the support of young artists like Lovis Corinth, Max Liebermann and Max Selvogt. At the same time secretary of the artists’ association „Berliner Secession“, in 1912 appointment to head of committee. From 1908 owner of the printing house „Pan-Presse“ in collaboration with the xylographer Reinhold Hoberg and the printer Georg Schwarz. Publication of book illustrations from Impressionist and Expressionist artists such as Oskar Kokoschka, Marc Chagall or Ernst Barlach. In the same year foundation of the literary publishing house „Paul Cassirer” (until 1933) which issued the magazine „Die weißen Blätter“ among others. In 1910 foundation of the „Gesellschaft Pan“, a forum for the performance of unknown and forbidden theatrical works and for the publication of the half monthly magazine „PAN“.


From 1914 to 1916 military service. In 1917 foundation of the Max Rascher Verlags AG together with Dr. Otto Rascher and Max Rascher, publication of pacifist writings by German and French authors. In 1922 closure of the company. 1918 joined the „Unabhängige Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands (USPD)“ to promote the publishing programme. Full member of the Deutscher Künstlerbund.