documenta
archiv
Index:
People
Otto Bartning
visual artist, architect, writer
12.04.1883 Karlsruhe
20.02.1959 Darmstadt

1902-1906 study of architecture at the TH Berlin and in Karlsruhe. 1905 first building contract for a protestant church in Peggau, opening of a construction office in Berlin. 1918 member of the Artbeitsrat für Kunst and chairman of the committee "Proposals for a curriculum for craftsmen, architects and visual artists". Development of the main features of an educational program with Walter Gropius, which was implemented at the Staatlichen Bauhochschule in Weimar. 1926-1930 founder and director of the Staatlichen Bauhochschule Weimar.


1928 breakthrough as an architect with the construction of a two-tower steel church in Cologne. 1941-1951 architect in Neckarsteinach and Heidelberg, there director of the workmen’s hut of the Heiliggeist- and the Peterskirche, from 1947 chairman of the local Werkbundgruppe. 1950 appointment as vice-president of the Deutscher Werkbund.


1950-1959 president of the Bund Deutscher Architekten (BDA). From 1955, work in Berlin as a consultant for urban planning matters, design of the German pavilion for the World Exposition in Brussels in 1958.


Member of numerous groups, including the Deutscher Werkbund, the architects' association "Der Ring" and the German Design Council as well as honorary member of the West German P.E.N. Award of an honorary doctorate in theology at the university of Königsberg and the grand cross of merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.