Staatliche Kunstakademie Kassel

In 1832 the academy, which was initially run privately, was nationalized. In 1869 the „Gewerbliche Zeichen- und Kunstgewerbeschule Kassel“ was founded and installed the first workshops, so that the academy focused on training in painting. In 1908 it relocated from the old building at the Frankfurter Straße into a new building at the Karlsaue. In 1920 the attempt from the Prussian government to combine the academy and the Kunstgewerbeschule failed due to the resistance from teachers and students. Nevertheless, in 1923 for the first time a new architectural training as well as the extension of workshops were established by the director at that time, Hans Soeder, in order to satisfy the increasing importance of crafts in arts.

At that time, the teaching staff consisted of the painters Ewald Dülberg, Georg Burmester, Kay H. Nebel and Kurt Witte, the sculptor Alfred Vocke, the architect Hans Soeder, the graphic artist Alf Niemann, and the art teacher Wilhelm Michel. Lectures on art history were given by Dr. Luthmer, Dr. Walter Passarge and later by Dr. Dr. Hans Vogel, later director of the Kasseler Staatliche Kunstsammlungen. After the closure of the academy by the Prussian government in 1932, the buildings remained as a training center for art fellows. In 1943 the buildings were destroyed by British aerial bombs in the Second World War. After the war there were considerations for a relocation of the academy into the South of Hesse. In 1947 a refoundation occurred and the renaming to “Werkakademie Kassel”.